What is FCRA Compliance?
AccuSource operates in compliance with all governing standards in the background screening industry, most importantly the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The FCRA was designed to regulate how credit bureaus and background screening agencies, both referred to as Consumer Reporting Agencies (CRAs) use consumer information. CRAs obtain and report information on consumers to prospective employers, landlords, and creditors. The FCRA ensures that the agencies who are responsible for reporting data are reporting it accurately and fairly while maintaining the privacy of such information.
To obtain a background screening report from a CRA, a company must first certify to their background screening agency that:
- They have the permissible purpose to obtain a background report
- They have disclosed to their candidate that they may use information in their background report to make decisions related to their employment or housing
- They have obtained authorization from their candidate to obtain a background report
- They will not use the report to discriminate against or violate any applicable state or federal equal opportunity laws.
- They will properly follow the adverse action procedures if a negative decision is to be made based on information obtained in the background report
AccuSource provides FCRA compliant forms and sample templates for your convenience. This list includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Applicant Disclosure and Consent forms
- Notice to Consumers Using Credit Reports
- Notice to Users Under the FCRA
- Adverse Action letters
- A Summary of Rights Under the FCRA